Monsignor Wegner was appointed the Executive Director of Boys Town on September 15, 1948. He retired on September 15, 1973.
Started by Father Edward J. Flanagan 1917, Boys Town began in a boarding house that welcomed all boys regardless of their race or religion. By the spring of 1917, 100 boys were living in the home. In 1921, Father Flanagan purchased Overlook Farm on the outskirts of Omaha and move the home there. Eventually becoming known as the Village of Boys Town, the community became an official village in the state of Nebraska. The boys that lived there elected their own government which included a mayor, council and commissioners.
This typewritten, signed document is dated February 4, 1958 and is on the official stationary of Father Flanagan's Boys' Home. Addressed to Miss Elaine Kwiat of New Castle, Pennsylvania, the letter thanks Miss Kwiat for her "generous contribution of $1.00" as well as her thoughts on Msgr. Wegner's recent appearance on television's game show, "To Tell The Truth." Msgr. Wegner remarks that at 14 years of age, Kwiat appears to be "quite a little young lady" and tells her that "God will reward you very generously for your willingness to share some of your blessings with these homeless children." He mentions the young girl's church as well as her school, Ben Franklin Junior High School. The letterhead is in full color and includes a vivid illustration of Boys' Town and it's inhabitants walking towards its buildings. The letter is signed "Nicholas H. Wegner." $175.00
In 1798, to help supplement the family's income, Ingham went to New Jersey, where he worked at a paper mill. Returning home, he opened his own mill and pursued politics, becoming a member of the state House of Representatives in 1806. After serving one two-year term, Ingham returned to the family farm, where he sat as justice of the peace for Bucks County from 1808 to 1812 and from 1813 to 1818 served as a Republican in the United States House of Representatives.
In 1818, Ingham moved back to Pennsylvania where he became the chief clerk for the courts of Bucks County. A year later, he left that post to become the Secretary of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. He served in this capacity for one year before returning to Congress as a representative from 1822 to 1829.
In 1829, President Andrew Jackson tapped Ingham to become U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, a position Ingham held from 1829 to 1831, when he resigned amidst controversy surrounding the "Eaton Affair." He then returned to Pennsylvania, where he pursued various business interests, including his paper mill and the development of anthracite coal fields. Samuel D. Ingham died in 1860 and is buried in the Solebury Presbyterian Churchyard in Solebury, Bucks County, Pennsylvania.
This partially printed Treasury Department document is dated December 30, 1830. It concerns goods imported from Hamburg to New York and is addressed to the Collector of the Customs of that port. The document is signed by Ingham as Secretary of the Treasury. 250.00
Prior to working for Washington, Lear served as President Thomas Jefferson's envoy to Saint-Domingue and as peace envoy in the Mediterranean during the Barbary Wars. Lear was responsible for negotiating a peace that would end the first Barbary War. Instead of joining the Continental Army, Lear attended Harvard College during the Revolutionary War later graduating in 1783. His career began as a teacher until he was recommended for the combined job of tutoring Martha Washington's grandchildren and acting as George Washington's personal secretary. Residing in Washington's house, Lear's status quickly elevated beyond secretary to Washington's right hand man. Lear's friendship with Washington continued during Washington's presidency as the two would often dine alone together. In 1799, Washington unexpectedly died while Lear was visiting him in Mount Vernon. It is Lear's famous diary entry that describes Washington's final hours and details the President's last words, "Tis well."
Lear would commit suicide by pistol on October 11, 1816. The reasons for his suicide are unknown.
This manuscript letter, dated September 18, 1816, was written less than one month prior to Lear's suicide. Addressed to Colonel Jessup at New Orleans, the letter was written by Lear in his role as accountant for the War Department. It concerns the payment of troops and mentions General Andrew Jackson, whose famous victory at the Battle of New Orleans the previous year was the high point of the War of 1812. It is signed "Tobias Lear." $1200.00
Nourse would purchase land within the tract known as the "Rock of Dumbarton" in 1804 for $7,422.93. The land, located in Georgetown, was part of a parcel first established by Thomas Beall in 1751. In 1789, Samuel Jackson, a merchant from Philadelphia, bought 4.5 acres which would be called the "Rock of Dumbarton" and on which he would build a home called Belle View. Jackson would later mortgage the property and the mortgage was acquired by the United States. The United States sold the house at public auction in April 1804 and within the same month, it was bought by Joseph Norse on April 22, 1804.
The son of a successful merchant, Joseph Nourse was a skilled bookkeeper. When serving as a military secretary for General Charles Lee during the Revolution, he was noticed by George Washington. After independence, he was picked to be the first Register of the Treasury a position he would keep until the Jackson administration. Much of the early Continental currency issued by the new government bears Nourse’s signature.
Nourse was an unassuming individual, a family man with a curious intellect. His Georgetown property eventually included 8 acres of land, enough for a modest subsistence farm where wheat, rye, and hay were grown. Outbuildings included a carriage house, stables, barn, icehouse, and dairy. To keep all this running, the Nourses kept about 10 servants at any given time, some free and some enslaved. The wheat and rye produced on the estate could be easily carried a short distance down the hill to Rock Creek, where it could be ground into flour at Lyons' Mill. Joseph likely spent little time overseeing these activities, however. In addition to being “America’s first civil servant,” as he was dubbed in an exhibition in the 1990s, Nourse could just as aptly be considered Washington’s first suburban commuter, traveling daily from his house on Cedar Hill (later known as Dumbarton House) to his Treasury Department office on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington City.
This handwritten document dated April 22, 1805 is a receipt for the amount of $7422.93 paid by Joseph Nourse for the purchase of land owned by the United States of America, the mortgage acquired from Samuel Jackson. It states that the parcel is part of the land known as the "Rock of Dumbarton." It details the tract's exact borders with descriptive sentences such as "north three degrees west seven hundred and seventy five feet six inches to a stone." The document goes on to detail how payment will be made and states that "Joseph Nourse or his heirs, shall well and truly pay or cause to be paid into the Treasury of the United States, to the credit of the Treasurer for...the amount now due on the purchase aforesaid. The document is signed "Joseph Nourse" and witnessed by "W Kilty."
The mortgage was paid off on May 21, 1808 and signed "G Duvall." Gabriel Duvall was the Comptroller of the Treasury of the United States.
The second document, dated August 20, 1808, displays a record of when Joseph Nourse made his payments to the Treasury of the United States for the Georgetown land in question. The document is signed by Thomas Tudor Tucker in his position as Treasurer of the United States. Tucker was elected from South Carolina in both the Continental Congress and the House of Representatives. He would eventually be appointed Treasurer of the United States, a position he held from 1801 until his death in 1828, making him the longest-serving Treasurer in U.S.